MORE EVIDENCE OF THE BIG “H”…….

Teh big H I refer to is HYPOCRISY…the more than common ailment of politicians, presidents and Hollywood stars(?)
There is an ad for gun control featuring some Hollywoodies..none of whom I recognize because the current Hollywood movies are not a part of my life and have not been for decades.
The last truly good films disappeared sometime in the 1960s–with a few signature exceptions—-”Saving Private Ryan” was one of those exceptions and the new “Lincoln” movie is another.
But the so called “stars” who appear in the anti- gun ad are the biggest of HYPOCRITES. Someone has re-done the ad with added film clips of these “earnest pleas” for gun control coming out of the mouths of the Hollywood personalities. Superimposed over their anti- gun screeds are clips of themselves in movies in which they are firing guns and killing people.
If these Bleeding Hearts” were at all serious about gun control and anti- gun rhetoric they are mouthing, why would they agree to play roles in violent gun bearing movies that they have been part of???
A true advocate of anti- gun sentiment would refuse to be in any movie that involved gun violence or any other form of Hollywood violence….car chases, fiery crashes, horrific scenes gratuitous murder and mayhem—–
It is the same old, same old—–the Hypocrites speak self-righteous words but their actions prove them to be liars and frauds.
And Americans who speak up against guns and think they should be eliminated from our society—- (whoops! there is still that bothersome amendment in our Bill of Rights that guarantees citizens of the U.S. the “right to bear arms”)
all of these Hypocrites ought to
NEVER see another Hollywood movie that features gun violence and any other forms of violence. If American movie goers swore off these Hollywood violence movies, the Hollywoodies would get hit where it hurts the most…in the wallet and the bank account.

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

17 Comments »

• Cobra says:

There is just as much hypocrisy on the right. The capitalistic free market is what enables Hollywood to produce these sorts of movies. They produce a product, and customers buy it, plain and simple. If customers don’t like the product, they don’t have to buy it. If the right doesn’t like these violent movies, then they only have their own capitalistic free market to blame.

Only COBRA could make a connectoin to right wingers and the violent movies that come out of Hoklywood. But with all due credit to a far Left Liberal movies do require a lot of capital and the 51 % of voters in the US would be unable to do much about that since thery prefer not working or succeeding in private enterterprize. Only BUFFALOGAL could attack COBRA by pointing out the Liberal’s encouragement of sloth and welfare/food stamp usage among the 51 %.

typo corrections in reply: Hollywood / enterprise / connection

• Cobra says:

Capitalism is what it is, dark side and all. Liberals are not to blame for that, the free market is. Personally I have no interest or time for violent games and movies, but as dictated by free market principles, if people want to stop spending their money on violent games and movies, they are free to do so at any time. If someone wants to start doing some social engineering and force people to stop consuming these bad things, then we can do that, but then it’s no longer a free market.

• Cobra says:

Oh, and by the way, if conservatives want to continue to stereotype and insult a majority of America, I’m sure Democrats will be only too happy to keep taking advantage of it.

A word to Cobra about your complaints of having your comment deleted. I only delete comments that I consider crass, rude or those that include personal insults. Any comments like that will be deleted.
      I am the editor of my own blog.
      I am perfectly comfortable with what you deem truth but I do not stand for rudeness or insulting comments.

• Cobra says:

I honestly do not think my comments were personally insulting, crass, or rude. But I can very easily recall a few comments by other right wing posters that were, and their comments were not deleted. I guess there is a different threshold for liberals vs. conservatives. I will try to be more “PC” from now on.

• remrafdn says:

Quote attributed to Abraham Lincoln.
    Attributed to Abraham Lincoln.
    Q: If you call a tail a leg, how many legs does a dog have?

A: Four, because calling a tail a leg doesn’t mean it is one.

Nor does calling a semi-automatic rifle an “Assault weapon” make it one.

• noblindersonme says:

Than what should we call a ‘semi automatic ‘ rifle than . remrefdn? – a shovel ? a hammer ? a pitchfork ?
      Your Lincoln quote is hardly applicable . a semi automatic weapon is a gun capable of filling the air with bullets in the shortest possible time. The difference you seem to claim is so vast is so much meaningless NRA baloney. There is a difference between a atomic bomb and a hydrogen bomb too!
      I am pretty sure Lincoln would agree with me! Maybe you should see Spielberg’s ” Lincoln”? Oh wait – Hollywood does not make that kind of great classic movie anymore , according to Kay!

• remrafdn says:

A “semi-automatic rifle”, no more no less. The term “assault weapon” is merelly a buzzword intended to fuel the current anti-gun hysteria. Goebbels lives on.

• Cobra says:

I would define an assault weapon as anything that is specifically designed to kill large numbers of human beings in a quick fashion. It’s like the saying goes, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it don’t make it a lady.

• Cobra says:

By the way, you right wing folks are geniuses at creating “buzzwords”. Your entire ideology is based on 2 and 3 word bumper sticker slogans. It’s too bad your thinking doesn’t go much deeper than that.

• noblindersonme says:

I agree about the hypocricy of the Hollywood stars and that ‘business’ which so easily props a ‘gun’ into the hands of it’s actors with the ease that matches the way Hollywood glamorized the ‘cigarette ‘ of long ago! In the ‘glory’ years of Hollywood ,did not the smoking Bogart or John Wayne or anyone else , signify glamour like no other image!
    Well we outgrew that didn’t we. and although I agree with Kay about the ridiculous coupling of gun ‘glamour’ and it’s lazy way it dramatizes it’s stories , I have to complain that we need someone other than Kay to whine about it! She, herself, admits she does not go to movies and she admits to not knowing a heck of a lot about the vast array of films that are available out there.
    Kay -there is certainly a TON of movies easily available for anyone to see. So many it would fill hours of typing to argue about. And Kay ,TONS of them are what you would call the same type of great films you would call wholesome and cast in the great mode of Hollywood gone by. We are living in the most easilly accessable time in history. DVDs netflix cable , you name the method, NEVER has it been better to find whatever we wanted!
    I too find the films of someone like Tarantino (do you even know who he is) repulsive so I won’t see them. So my wife and I seek out the ones we do like to watch . Have you seen “the Artist” ( last years Oscar winner?) How about the ‘Marigold ‘ hotel one? Or Woody Allen’s last ( Midnight in Paris ). “Amour”? I could go on and on , our movie shelf is bulging with these ‘good’ movies and I hav’nt even gotten to the continued wholesome abundance of The Disney Movies that still bring out the crowds and still make tons of money!!!
    My point? Your ( conservative) complaint about the state of Hollywood , and it always seems to be narrow minded complaint of the right today , ignores the elephant in the room, the biggest talking point of conservative politics – the FREE MARKET! The consumer exercizes it’s free will to buy any damn thing they desire! And if that product is the stupid , gun filled violence of far too many blood gushing Hollywood movies then that apparently is what our free thinking American society wants!!! If the American moviegoer didn’t want those kinds of movies , Hollywood would not make them! You may argue with that , but since you don’t go to movies anymore ! what the heck do you know what’s available to the discerning public!!
    And your talk about hypocricy should include all the movies that the sterotypical ‘conservative ‘ moviegoerDVD cable watcher spends his money on . I guarantee the young white male today who voted republican so overwhemingly , just loves to watch those ‘awful’ gun blood splattered movies you are panning here.
    Do you think Hollywood should not market it’s product for it’s consumer???
    finally ,Kay, do you think Hollywood should be ‘regulated ‘ ???

TO NOBLINDERS……that is the Lincoln movie I saw..the Spielberg one….it is one of the best movies to come out of Hollywood in many decades. I do see movies but surely not the ones I see previewed or advertised with extremely violent clips and previews…I check out a lot of British dramas from my library system and I have bought DVDs of movies I really approve of…..
    I do not waste my money at theaters on the current crop of violence prone films which seerms to be about 90 % of what comes out of American/Hollywood filmmakers.
    I believe that is called “discernment” among those who are not ignorant…and will go to any movie no matter how violent or filled with gratutitous sex.

• Cobra says:

I have absolutely no time or interest in any of this violence based garbage. But the problem is that our society has been indoctrinated with the belief that guns and violence solve problems, and that comes from the government, the NRA, and the Republican party every bit as much as it comes from movies or games.

• I don’t watch TV shows or Movie with murder and mayhem..that is why I like reality TV..even some of the new sitcoms are getting raunchy for Family hour..what are we coming to??:(

• cw hogan says:

I have a friend who often decries the state of current movies, as in there are none worthy of viewing. Hooey!!!

In the past couple-few years…King’s Speech…Moneyball…Into the Wild..the Great Debaters…the Informant..the Blind Side…Happy Go Lucky…the Artist…Super 8…Another Year…Guilt Trip…Hyde Park on the Hudson…Wanderlust…Descendants…My Week With Marilyn…Hunger Games…Slumdog Milionaire…127 Hours…Juno…Invictus…Where the Wild Things Are…the Wrestler…Zodiac…Lincon Lawyer…Our Idiot Brother…Taken…War Horse…Crazy Heart…Food Inc…J Edgar…Julie & Julia…World’s Greatest Dad…Stranger Than Fiction…Saint Misbehavin’…….are worth a look-see.

These are of the top of my head. My point is that there are plenty of movies that are well performed engaging stories minus gratuitous violence.